"I'm so excited to be the master of ceremonies on the biggest night in music and celebrate the creativity, power and magic".
The GRAMMYs seem to have an issue with performers this year, yesterday Ariana Grande pulled out of the show due to creative differences.
Lamar is known for his attention-grabbing, often political Grammy performances, like his fiery 2016 rendition of his "To Pimp a Butterfly" tracks, so his absence is sure to be missed by many. Other performers scheduled for the evening are Cardi B, Brandi Carlile, Dan + Shay, H.E.R., Post Malone, Shawn Mendes, Janelle Monáe, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Chloe x Halle, Travis Scott and Miley Cyrus. Also teaming up for performances throughout the night are St. Vincent and Dua Lipa as well as Mark Ronson and Lady Gaga.
The 2019 Grammys will be broadcast live on CBS from Los Angeles' Staples Center, but there are also many streaming options. And dark clouds are surrounding R. Kelly, who was dropped by Sony Music following allegations of sexually abusive behavior.
Rapper Kendrick Lamar - who won a Pulitzer Prize for his album "DAMN." but not a Grammy for Album of the Year - earned eight nominations, while Canadian rapper Drake snagged seven. Gambino also received a number of nominations, including Song of the Year for his work on "This Is America". The Recording Academy president's comments that female artists should "step up" also sparked ire and added fuel to the #GrammysSoMale hashtag.
Even before the show, there's plenty of cause for celebration.
Among the group are current Grammy nominees Kelsea Ballerini, who's up for best country album, as well as best new artist nominee Luke Combs and Leon Bridges, nominated for two awards, including best R&B album.
Despite being nominated for Grammys this year, Drake hasn't been on the best terms with the awards show for a while. A study released by the University of Southern California's Annenberg Inclusion Initiative days before the ceremony found that of the 899 individuals who had been nominated for the previous six shows, 90.7 percent were men.
- Valentine's Day 2019: Fortnite gears up with Share the Love Event
- UK-built Mars rover named after British scientist Rosalind Franklin
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reacts to 26-year-old’s new Man United contract
- Newport County vs. Middlesbrough - Football Match Report
- European round-up: Edinson Cavani doubtful for Manchester United tie
- Eurovision 2019: Michael Rice says he can ‘definitely’ win in Tel Aviv
- Whittaker out of UFC 234 due to hernia surgery
- Elizabeth Warren Announces Her 2020 Presidential Candidacy
- 'We're not into a rebuild,' Oilers fire GM Peter Chiarelli
- Seattle SNOWSTORM: Weather warnings as Seattle braced for huge SNOW BOMB