An aircraft flying from Hyderabad to London's Heathrow Airport canceled a landing attempt right after touching down on the runway, and went back up in the air again.
The warning reads: "Despite the strongest of the winds associated with Storm Erik being across the north-west of the United Kingdom today, a swathe of strong south-westerly winds will bring gusts 50-60 miles per hour to southern counties of England, initially across south-west England, but then affecting areas further east this afternoon".
Saturday has seen the "strongest winds" lashing Northern England too, while coastal areas could be hit by winds as strong as 70mph.
Because of the pilots correct decision the flight landed safely later.
Storm Erik is here, and it has resulted in rain, gale force winds and a number of weather warnings.
It's going to be another very windy one.
One man died after a tree fell on his vehicle in Devon on Friday morning.
The forecaster added: "The showers will be most frequent in the west and north, with an ongoing risk of hail and thunder, but they will gradually become more isolated towards evening".
A statement on the Met Office website said: "A swathe of very strong westerly winds is expected to push across Northern Ireland, southern Scotland and northern England through Saturday, easing from the west during the day".
She said: "The south and east could become cold after next weekend, most likely with many parts dry, perhaps with some snow, mainly on hills".
'We could therefore see some further problems on roads'.
On Saturday a kitesurfer died amid strong winds in an incident on the Saunton Sands beach in north Devon, although a spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police would not confirm whether the death was weather-related.
- Sharma claims record as India cruise past New Zealand
- Elizabeth Warren Announces Her 2020 Presidential Candidacy
- VA. LT. Gov. removed from DLGA after 2nd assault accuser comes forward
- Valentine's Day 2019: Fortnite gears up with Share the Love Event
- Whittaker out of UFC 234 due to hernia surgery
- Nord Stream 2: European Union agrees tighter rules for Russian pipeline
- Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys
- Microsoft security chief suggests Internet Explorer not suitable as main browser
- Novel pill could replace injections to deliver insulin
- Tripura | ‘Mahamilawatwalas’ in Olympic competition to abuse me: PM Modi