Israel "Style Bender" Adesanya will look to improve his unblemished UFC record to 16-0 this Saturday, February 9, as he takes on veteran Anderson Silva at UFC 234 at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne, Australia.
"Due to a severe abdominal injury requiring emergency surgery, UFC middleweight champion Robert Whittaker has been forced to withdraw from his UFC 234 main event against Kelvin Gastelum", the release said.
He later said Whittaker would be undergoing surgery on Sunday for the problem.
Turner wasted no time in scoring his first UFC victory, catching Potter with a crisp counter hook in one of the fight's first exchanges, then following with kicks and punches that finished the Aussie just 53 seconds in.
The new co-main is the lightweight matchup between Lando Vannata and Marcos Mariano.
Despite being elevated to the main event, Adesanya's bout will remain a three-round fight.
Gastelum took to social media to let his fans know what was happening.
As a result, Gastelum will not compete at UFC 234.
On Twitter, Gastelum also wished Whittaker well in his recovery. Prior to that, he knocked out former middleweight champion Michael Bisping in November 2017.
The bout will determine the next contender to the title, likely after Whittaker defends vs. Gastelum.
In Australia working for ESPN, Sonnen is now contracted to Bellator, but said the promotion had allowed him to step in if necessary.
- Elizabeth Warren Announces Her 2020 Presidential Candidacy
- Tiger kills potential mate on first date
- Life Sentence For Toronto Serial Killer Bruce McArthur
- UK-built Mars rover named after British scientist Rosalind Franklin
- Newport County vs. Middlesbrough - Football Match Report
- Scotland V Ireland: Choose Best Combined XV From Starting Teams
- Sprint sues AT&T over 5G branding
- Here’s how Kim Kardashian is feeling about baby No 4
- Ubisoft address The Division 2's private beta bugs
- Budding deal would give Trump fraction of desired wall money