For former Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray, it's football over baseball.
The Oakland Athletics vice president of baseball operations was peppered with questions about Murray as MLB spring training opens this week.
Relating to the Patriots, they will always be interested in quarterbacks as long as Tom Brady is still on the roster since they need to find an eventual replacement. "But there are some QB hungry teams who might be looking to move up in the draft order and Murray - albeit 5'9" or 5'10" - is a unique athlete and most prognosticators feel he will be a first-round pick come April along with Dwayne Haskins (Ohio State), Drew Lock (Missouri) and Daniel Jones (Duke). Murray will return $1.29 million of the $1.5 million signing bonus money the A's gave him past year, a source told ESPN's Jeff Passan. He ran for 1,001 yards and another 12 scores, posting the second-best passer efficiency rating in FBS history.
Murray made no mention of the A's or baseball in his statement.
Not even Denver Broncos general manager John Elway - the first overall pick in the 1983 NFL Draft and 52nd overall (second round) pick of the 1981 MLB Draft - can claim that. "I was raised to play QB, and I very much look forward to dedicating [100 percent] of myself to being the best QB possible and winning National Football League championships". With the help of super agent Scott Boras, Murray agreed to a lucrative contract that would allow him to play the 2018 football season at OU before reporting to spring training in 2019.
After transferring to Oklahoma from Texas A&M, Murray was the Sooners' backup quarterback behind Heisman victor and future No. 1 NFL pick Baker Mayfield for the 2017 football season.
The A's, however, retain Murray's Major League Baseball rights, and there are scenarios in which he could reverse himself and seek to play for Oakland.
However, it's not too surprising, considering the success Murray had at Oklahoma.
All Murray did in one 14-game season was rewrite OU's record books time and time again en route to winning the Heisman Trophy Award two months ago. Oakland is now due a refund of $1.29 million of the bonus, according to ESPN's Jeff Passan, and Murray will forfeit the future $3.16 million payment.
- Brexit: More votes promised as Labour says May running down the clock
- Ariana Grande Admits How 'SNL' Star Pete Davidson Affected 'Thank U, Next'
- Jamie Vardy sees penalty saved with his first touch against Spurs
- French 'yellow vest' protester loses fingers in violent unrest
- Michelle Obama steals the show with surprise Grammys appearance
- Manchester United under Jose Mourinho were 'laughing stock' - Phil Jones
- Rajinikanth dances at daughter Soundarya's sangeet
- After Ilhan Omar Tweets, Democrats Urge Leaders To Condemn Anti-Semitism
- Leno frustrated as Arsenal wait for first away clean sheet goes on
- Phil Mickelson praises Paul Casey after sealing Pebble Beach win