The dueling rallies come after Trump claimed in his State of the Union speech last week that a border fence separating El Paso from Mexico reduced the city's high crime rate.
After a 35-day partial government shutdown that ended January 25, the federal government could close again if congressional Republicans and Democrats cannot hammer out a compromise.
Supporters of President Donald Trump and his proposed wall gathered at the Texas-Mexico border Saturday, linking hands to form a human barrier of their own.
The activists appeared to universally support the president and his long-held pledge to build a border wall, and they seemed to be making their own symbolic barrier where the border fence now finishes.
On Monday evening, O'Rourke will lead a march through the city and then speak at a "Celebration of El Paso" event at 7 p.m. local time - across the street from Trump's rally and at the same time it is set to begin, according to O'Rourke's team. On Tuesday, O'Rourke promised a 2020 decision by the end of the month.
In a tweet, El Paso Mayor Dee Margo, a Republican, panned the president: "El Paso was NEVER one of the MOST risky cities in the U.S. We've had a fence for 10 years and it has impacted illegal immigration and curbed criminal activity".
In his State of the Union, President Donald Trump said a "powerful barrier" had cut crime rates and turned El Paso, Texas, from one of the nation's most unsafe cities to one of its safest.
- Adesanya wins his biggest fight yet
- Grammys 2019: Joy Villa dresses as Trump's border wall on red carpet
- ‘Aladdin’ trailer shows first glimpse of Will Smith’s Genie
- Google Maps AR navigation is now being trialed by select users
- After Ilhan Omar Tweets, Democrats Urge Leaders To Condemn Anti-Semitism
- Sergio Aguero becomes Manchester City's all-time record league goalscorer
- Manchester United under Jose Mourinho were 'laughing stock' - Phil Jones
- Bootleg Liquor Kills 100 In India's Worst Outbreak In Years
- No-deal Brexit 'could cost 600,000 jobs worldwide'
- Leno frustrated as Arsenal wait for first away clean sheet goes on