Yesterday, Buzzfeed News reported the company was holding this event to introduce a subscription news product, but it also seems like the timing would work to introduce its video subscription service as well.
Apple will host an event to unveil the new iPad mini 5 and iPad on 19 March, according to a release date leak. The deal would offer some outlets significantly less than they make through their own subscription services today; The Wall Street Journal charges more than $20 a month for various digital subscriptions, for example.
More information from the website states that pre-orders for the AirPods 2, AirPower and new iPads will start on Friday, March 22, with the devices officially available starting March 29. The service, which some have described as similar to a "Netflix for news", would reportedly have Apple keeping around half of the revenue brought in by subscriptions, with the remaining revenue being split up and distributed to publishers based on content engagement. The service is rumored to launch later this year.
"The news service is not moving the needle for Apple bulls but it speaks to a strategic shift within Cupertino to focus on services separate than hardware releases". Multiple major publishers have, according to the sources, failed to sign onto the plan due in part to the financial terms; among these publishers is allegedly the New York Times and Washington Post.
"We believe there will be another event in April at which point we expect iPad and product announcements to be launched". However, the company has been butting heads with publishers over monetary details-Apple reportedly wants to keep 50 percent of subscription revenue from the service.
Apple, for its part, has not commented on the claims. Apple would also not provide customer data to publishers, including credit card info and email addresses.
This story originally appeared in The Sun.
- Rain, hail delays final round at Pebble Beach
- PSG boss Tuchel surprised by Man Utd treatment of Di Maria
- Oil rises after Saudi output pledge, declining USA inventories
- Movie stars and British royalty mix at BAFTAs
- Acting US secretary of defense pays unannounced visit to Afghanistan
- Why Are People Criticizing Jennifer Lopez's Motown Tribute at the 2019 Grammys?
- Black panther: Rare animal caught on camera in Kenya
- Juventus eager to lure Liverpool's Salah to Turin
- Disney releases long-awaited ‘Frozen 2’ trailer - and it does not disappoint
- 'Not rocket science' - Leicester fans criticise Claude Puel for decision vs Tottenham