Fuentes, 21, initially thought the newborn was an animal, or perhaps a toy.
KFSN-TV reports the hours-old baby was wearing only a onesie when the newspaper carrier, Aurelio Fuentes, found her a short time later on the center line of the road in Madera County in Central California.
'I approached slowly next thing you know I see its red you can see the face I saw a face.
Fuentes brought the baby into his vehicle and called 911. "There could've been coyotes, there's cars going by fast down that road", Mr Fuentes said.
The newborn, who was only hours old, was rushed to Valley Children's Hospital and is now being treated at the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
Anyone with information on the case is being asked to contact the Madera County Sheriff's Office at 559-675-7770.
A suspect allegedly approached a man as he walked down the road at 4.30am that morning and asked him to take her child. Authorities are now looking for the newborn's mother.
Pogue had instructed the woman to go to a fire station or to nearby Valley Children's Hospital to surrender the child safely, but that did not happen.
A CHP officer responded to the scene and wrapped the baby in a blanket to keep her warm.
Authorities eventually arrived and took the baby in for treatment.
The woman was described as a "Hispanic female adult, possibly in her 20s". "She asked him to take her child, but he did not want to accept the baby and left the area".
The child will be placed in the care of child protective services when she is fully recovered.
California Safe Surrendered Baby law lets parents turn their babies over to police within 72 hours of the child's birth with no questions asked.
Drop-off points include designated fire stations and hospitals.
- Reasons Why Apex Legends Might Be The New Fortnite
- Cardi B beats the boys to win rap album honours at Grammys
- Kyrie Irving to be Considered Day-to-Day After Knee Sprain
- Durban rescuers dig trench to save newborn stuck in a drain
- Lavalin: Federal minister Jody Wilson-Raybould resigns amid allegations
- Seoul preps bid to co-host 2032 Summer Olympics with North Korea
- Katy Perry ‘Blackface’ Shoes Pulled From Stores
- Leeds winger Jack Clarke released from hospital after falling ill
- Trump to create American AI Initiative with executive order
- Steelers’ Antonio Brown tweets it’s ‘time to move on’