"In that moment I think we started to feel comfortable too on the bench because we started to play really well".
With seven minutes of the game remaining, Tottenham managed to double their advantage in the tie through the impressive Vertonghen, who converted the cross from Spurs' other wing-back, Serge Aurier, before a glancing header from substitute Fernando Llorente to convert a fine Christian Eriksen corner four minutes from the end put Spurs in control of the tie.
Spurs produced a superb second-half display at Wembley on Wednesday evening to build a commanding 3-0 lead ahead of their last-16 second leg with Bundesliga leaders Borussia Dortmund.
Mauricio said: "I'm so happy but it's only the first leg and we need to finish the job".
After watching his team tear Borussia Dortmund apart, Pochettino joked he would simply head to the dressing room for a shower next time Son helps himself to a goal.
Pochettino is going to be left with a dilemma and whatever decision he makes is likely to play into Dortmund's hands.
"The players deserve all the credit because they were fantastic".
Pochettino devised a clever game-plan that eventually frustrated Dortmund and secured Tottenham's first ever Champions League knockout-round win at home. He smiles and he creates energy in every single game. It was an incredible result and the players deserve massive praise but we need to think that it's going to be tough to play over there.
"So I must say for these boys it's a test because they are rich before they play".
It was just the second time in Vertonghen's Tottenham stay that he had registered a goal and an assist in the same match, and team-mate Son heaped praise on the talented defender before warning that the round of 16 tie wasn't done and dusted.
Yet Skomina called for a VAR check and after a number of replays, ruled that Tadic had been standing in an offside position when the goal was scored. I am very happy for him, he deserved it.
- Cardi B Disables Her Instagram After Winning Best Rap Album At Grammys
- Apple to announce a new subscription-focused service on March 25th
- Rain, hail delays final round at Pebble Beach
- Disney releases long-awaited ‘Frozen 2’ trailer - and it does not disappoint
- Pakistan, Saudi Arabia to sign $20 billion deals during crown princes visit
- Man Utd boss Solskjaer: PSG experience (& Kimpembe not seeing red) was difference
- Fans react to disallowed Ajax goal
- Lottery Winner Wore 'Scream' Mask to Claim Prize
- 'Fire Emblem: Three Houses' Release Date Revealed
- Juventus eager to lure Liverpool's Salah to Turin