"Of course, assignments and schedules could always change", Scheirholz said.
The all-female support team includes Canadian Space Agency flight controller Kristen Facciol who tweeted that she'll be on console providing support on the historic day. Reports confirmed that NASA astronauts Anne McClain and Christina Koch would carry out the mission as part of Expedition 59.
The 7-hour mission will reportedly be live-streamed on NASA's website at 6:30AM eastern time. The lead flight director is Mary Lawrence and the lead EVA flight controller is Jackie Kagey. They landed safely a few minutes later, after reaching the fringes of space, and were reassigned to fly again after McClain, Kononenko and Saint-Jacques launched in early December.
McClain, Saint-Jacques, Hague and Koch also are all scheduled for the first spacewalks of their careers to continue upgrades to the orbital laboratory. But women are finally pulling ahead in the space race.
The all-female makeup of the team conducting the spacewalk obviously won't have any impact on the work being done, as all NASA astronauts are held to the exact same standards and are equally qualified to handle any scenario whether they're men or women.
Male astronauts Nick Hague and David Saint-Jacques will participate in the first and third spacewalks.
There are three planned spacewalks, and this is the second in the series. According to NASA, the most recent class of flight directors is the same as the one in 2013. They are going to make history and Kristen Facciol even made the following statement on her official Twitter account: "I can not contain my excitement!".
McClain graduated from Gonzaga Prep in 1997 and spent a year in the ROTC program at Gonzaga University before attending the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, where she earned a bachelor's degree in mechanical and aeronautical engineering.
It's been 55 years since Valentina Tereshkova became the world's first female cosmonaut to ever step foot in space.
- Major Tesla shareholder: Elon Musk doesn't have to be CEO
- SpaceX Crew Dragon Set For Splashdown In Atlantic Ocean
- Samsung’s Galaxy Fold will come to India soon, says CEO DJ Koh
- Galaxy S10 just achieved a huge victory ahead of Samsung release TODAY
- Philadelphia Eagles trade Michael Bennett to Patriots
- Cloudy day with rain or showers for much of the UK
- Giants trade Olivier Vernon for Kevin Zeitler: How it impacts the cap
- Shamima Begum: 'Unconfirmed reports' baby son dead
- US women's team sues US Soccer over 'institutionalized gender discrimination'
- United States seeks access to inspect rebuilt North Korean missile launch-site