What she didn't expect was what happened after the nurse opened the door. When she attempted to confirm the doctor's advice on next steps and at-home hospice, the doctor said: "you know, I don't know if he's going to get home".
Her grandfather Ernest Quintana, 78, died the next day.
Wilharm didn't see a human being, but a machine with a video screen of a doctor.
Imagine if you will a robot wheeling into your hospital room with very, very bad news. It got to a point where she had to tell her grandfather he was dying because he couldn't hear what the robot was saying.
Michelle Gaskill-Hames, senior vice-president of Kaiser Permanente Greater Southern Alameda County, said in a statement that its policy was to have a nurse or doctor in the room when remote consultations took place.
Annalisia shot the encounter on video, thinking at first that she could share the test results with her family.
Steve Pantilat, chief of the palliative medicine division at University of California, San Francisco, said he did not know the details in the case, but that robot technology had done wonders for patients and their families, some of whom were too far away for in-person visits.
Wilharm wrote to USA Today that her grandfather Ernest died last Tuesday. According to Wilharm, they explained the hospital was small and the robot was used to make rounds at night.
"The evening video tele-visit was a follow-up to earlier physician visits", Ms Gaskill-Hames said in a written response.
However, she also defended the use of the technology, stating that telemedicine does not replace in-person conversations with patients, and that the technology allows the facility to have more specialists to help with patient care. "This secure video technology is a live conversation with a physician using tele-video technology and always with a nurse or other physician in the room to explain the objective and function of the technology".
Wilharm figured the visit was routine.
"We regret falling short in meeting the patient's and family's expectations in this situation and we will use this as an opportunity to review our practices and standards with the care team".
"He was such a sweet guy", she said.
Catherine says that she spoke to hospital staff about the robot.
- QB Alex Hornibrook announces transfer to Florida State
- Jussie Smollett struts into court for hearing about allowing cameras in courtroom
- Texans offered Mathieu long-term deal worth over $9.5M per year
- DeSean Jackson Returning to Eagles After Buccaneers Agree Trade
- At 30, World Wide Web ‘not the web we wanted,’ inventor says
- The curious career of new Jets defender Anthony Barr | NFL Analysis
- Fox News condemns its own host over comments about congresswoman's hijab
- Odell Beckham Jr. Browns Trade: Is Cleveland Frontrunner to Land WR?
- Windows 10 will now automatically uninstall system updates causing stability issues
- Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle sweet moment at Westminster Abbey