An outbreak of measles in New Zealand's South Island has continued to spread as health authorities order emergency supplies of vaccines.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that 206 individual cases of measles have been confirmed across 11 states since January 1.
"Unimmunised people who come within 2 metres of an infectious person, however briefly, have a 90 per cent chance of contracting measles", the board said.
Clinics in the central-eastern region ran out of vaccines after the outbreak started in late February, with an additional 18,000 MMR vaccines expected to be brought in by Wednesday.
Health authorities warn that anyone who isn't immunized or who hasn't received two doses of the MMR vaccine is at higher risk of getting sick.
The Law Society is warning lawyers and staff that the prosecutor likely came into contact with many people while being infectious.
"People between the ages of 29 and 50 can expect to get a measles vaccine from their general practice in a week or two".
Pharmac, the Canterbury District Health Board (CDHB) and the Ministry of Health were working closely together to ensure there were vaccines available to the people who needed them.
Many cases that have been found involve the kids which are under 10 years old, and almost 15 cases are found where the people are within the age group of 11 to 18 years, and the rest are found in adults till the age of 39 years.
The Jefferson County Health Department began investigating a case of measles on Friday. In 2015, for instance, there were 154 cases in the first two months of the year followed by just 34 for the remainder of the year, putting it at right about average relative to the past decade's annual totals.
Nerius did not receive a measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine as a kid because his parents believed the misinformation being spread by anti-vaxers. The highly contagious disease is spread by coughing, sneezing, close personal contact or direct contact with infected nose or throat secretions.
- Firefox Send is a Free, Encrypted File Transfer Service from Mozilla
- U.S.'s Bolton says Pakistan committed to easing tensions with India
- 'Best putting round ever' lifts Molinari to brink of Bay Hill win
- Verizon to launch mobile 5G in Chicago and Minneapolis on April 11
- Two Sussex MPs switch to back Theresa May’s second Brexit deal
- Border Policewoman hurt in Jerusalem as tensions flare on Temple Mount
- Faulty airbag parts prompt Honda to re-recall 1 million cars
- How safe is Boeing's 737 MAX 8 aircraft? | US & Canada
- Lady Gaga Says She Isn't Pregnant But Is Delivering An Album
- Another day, another Brexit vote: United Kingdom seeks path forward