An outbreak of measles in New Zealand's South Island has continued to spread as health authorities order emergency supplies of vaccines.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that 206 individual cases of measles have been confirmed across 11 states since January 1.
"Unimmunised people who come within 2 metres of an infectious person, however briefly, have a 90 per cent chance of contracting measles", the board said.
Clinics in the central-eastern region ran out of vaccines after the outbreak started in late February, with an additional 18,000 MMR vaccines expected to be brought in by Wednesday.
Health authorities warn that anyone who isn't immunized or who hasn't received two doses of the MMR vaccine is at higher risk of getting sick.
The Law Society is warning lawyers and staff that the prosecutor likely came into contact with many people while being infectious.
"People between the ages of 29 and 50 can expect to get a measles vaccine from their general practice in a week or two".
Pharmac, the Canterbury District Health Board (CDHB) and the Ministry of Health were working closely together to ensure there were vaccines available to the people who needed them.
Many cases that have been found involve the kids which are under 10 years old, and almost 15 cases are found where the people are within the age group of 11 to 18 years, and the rest are found in adults till the age of 39 years.
The Jefferson County Health Department began investigating a case of measles on Friday. In 2015, for instance, there were 154 cases in the first two months of the year followed by just 34 for the remainder of the year, putting it at right about average relative to the past decade's annual totals.
Nerius did not receive a measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine as a kid because his parents believed the misinformation being spread by anti-vaxers. The highly contagious disease is spread by coughing, sneezing, close personal contact or direct contact with infected nose or throat secretions.
- Packers still in the mix for RB Mark Ingram
- Kim Kardashian Pays 5 Years Rent For Recently Released Prisoner
- Another day, another Brexit vote: United Kingdom seeks path forward
- Nancy Pelosi says impeaching Donald Trump 'just not worth it'
- Faulty airbag parts prompt Honda to re-recall 1 million cars
- Snow, wind to continue pummeling Denver metro area through Wednesday evening
- Trump wades into Melania ‘body double’ conspiracy theory
- Felicity Huffman's Bond Set at $250,000 in College Admission Scandal
- Not designating Masood Azhar as global terrorist against peace
- California governor places moratorium on executions