He says he's decided on 2020 but has provided no further details except that he'll make his plans known soon.
Giddens tweeted a video from O'Rourke reminding University of Northern Iowa students to cast their ballots in Giddens' special election. "Supporting him for state Senate is the way that we get Iowa-and by extension, this country-back on the right track", O'Rourke says in the video.
O'Rourke has also been running ads on Facebook teasing an upcoming announcement, another sign that he is looking to engage the base of supporters he gained during his Senate bid.
Following the premiere of an HBO documentary chronicling his unsuccessful 2018 US Senate campaign, "Running with Beto", at South by Southwest in Austin, Texas, this past weekend, O'Rourke deflected a question about his 2020 plans by praising local candidates featured in the film.
The trip to the Hawkeye State would be O'Rourke's first as a candidate - and spending time there is a necessity for anyone mounting a serious presidential run. "It's the exact kind of campaign that America needs right now, and it's why so many of us are hoping that Beto has made a decision to launch a campaign for President of the United States".
A Democratic presidential hopeful and another candidate believed to be leaning toward entering the race will visit Dubuque this weekend.
O'Rourke, 46, rose to national prominence a year ago when he narrowly lost his bid to defeat Republican U.S. Senator Ted Cruz.
O'Rourke's trip to Iowa will mark his first visit to the first-in-the-nation caucus state, and suggests the Texas Democrat is on the cusp of mounting a presidential bid.
O'Rourke, who reportedly has ruled out challenging Sen.
"When they show up here, we know why".
The Democrat has been highly critical of US President Donald Trump's immigration policies.
He sat for an interview with Oprah Winfrey in NY and held a rival rally last month to decry Trump's immigration policy as the president promoted his planned border wall in El Paso.
He will also travel to eastern Iowa beginning Thursday with a meet-and-greet event in Burlington, Democratic sources in the state said.
- With Arab Nationalities Among 157 Victims of Ethiopian Airlines Crash
- California governor places moratorium on executions
- Beto O'Rourke announces that he is running for president in 2020
- Retina Exam May Detect Alzheimer's Disease Before Symptoms Emerge
- Jose Canseco wants ex-wife Jessica, Alex Rodriguez to take polygraph
- Trump wades into Melania ‘body double’ conspiracy theory
- Not designating Masood Azhar as global terrorist against peace
- Major Reputed Mafia Boss Shot To Death Outside His Home
- Felicity Huffman's Bond Set at $250,000 in College Admission Scandal
- Jacket belonging to missing backpacker Catherine Shaw found in Guatemala