His social media presence and huge fundraising power lifted him from a little-known three-term congressman to a Democratic rockstar with a following that stretched well beyond Texas.
Confirming his run to Texan TV outlet KTSM, Mr O'Rourke said: "I'm really proud of what El Paso did and what El Paso represents. It's the only way I know to meet that challenge", O'Rourke told the magazine.
When the Des Moines Register/CNN/Mediacom poll was first run in December, O'Rourke placed third, the top choice of 11 percent.
Thursday morning's announcement will leave former Vice President Joe Biden as the last big name yet to make a decision about the 2020 campaign.
The American and global media jump up every time he makes a move and, unlike fellow Democratic candidates with far more experience, he was granted a cover interview with Vanity Fair and is...
He already had planned a visit to Iowa this weekend.
The Iowa trip will be the first test of whether O'Rourke can convert the enthusiasm he built in Texas to the national stage.
"I'm a capitalist", O'Rourke told reporters last month.
King began by asking O'Rourke if he still feels Trump should be impeached. He said he "would not prejudge the outcome of that trial, ' adding:;All I am saying is, there's enough there'".
In 2012, he won against incumbent Democratic congressmanSilvestre Reyes in a Latino-majority district, and was re-elected twice before giving up his seat to run against Cruz.
Party liberals have zeroed in on O'Rourke's refusal while in the U.S. House of Representatives to co-sponsor legislation providing "Medicare-for-all" and free college tuition, although during his Senate campaign O'Rourke promoted the idea of universal healthcare.
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang brace fires Arsenal past Rennes
- Evidence of Enormous, 2600-Year-Old Solar Storm Found in Greenland
- Jose Mourinho says Zidane's re-appointment as Real Madrid boss is ideal
- Dolphins emerging to fight Teddy Bridgewater away from Saints
- UEFA Champions League quarter final draw and fixtures leaked
- Cyclone set to hit Mozambique hard tonight, dozens already killed
- Senate votes to end USA support of Saudi-led Yemen war
- Bangkok students strike against climate change
- OPEC cuts oil production in February despite pressure from Trump
- Five dead, over 30 hurt as overbridge collapses near Mumbais CST