The network said Thursday that a new show, titled "A Little Late with Lilly Singh", will air at 1:35 a.m. EDT beginning in September. She'll be the only woman of color with her own late-night show on a broadcast network.
Judging from her YouTube content, A Little Late with Lilly Singh will likely steer clear of any overt political satire, à la Last Week Tonight, Full Frontal, The Daily Show, or The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, and lean more into sketches and celebrity interviews (she's already done videos with Dwayne Johnson, Seth Rogen, Priyanka Chopra, and Selena Gomez). Watch the announcement below along with Singh's Tonight Show interview and some of her YouTube work.
"[The show] will be kind of like my YouTube channel but now I have more than three staff members", Singh quipped.
On Thursday, Singh, 30, revealed she landed her own talk show on NBC, replacing Carson Daly as host. "We can't wait to get started". "A huge shoutout to all of the women who have been before me and are now in the space because I couldn't have done it without them paving the path", Singh said. Singh followed up her standing ovation with a joke saying, "Just to clarify, it's not Jimmy's slot".
While she may be a newcomer to network television, Singh is an established star on new media. "I'm thrilled to bring it to life on NBC, and I hope my parents consider this to be as exciting as a grandchild".
Lilly Singh comes out as bisexual to her followers. Lilly Singh Instagram
"I'm numb. I can't even process". As an actress, she's appeared in the HBO film Fahrenheit 451 and the movies Bad Moms and Ice Age: Collision Course. According to the BBC, in 2016 she earned $7.4 million, making her the third highest paid YouTuber in the world.
Daly announced last month "Last Call" would be ending after 17 years to focus on his roles on NBC's "Today", "The Voice" and The Golf Channel, and to spend more time with his family.
In February, Singh made headlines when she publicly announced she is bisexual.
She later wrote about the announcement in an Instagram post. But now I'm fully embracing them as my superpowers ...
- PUBG Mobile sends out statement after ban on game leading to arrests
- Beto O'Rourke will seek 2020 Democratic presidential nomination
- Five dead, over 30 hurt as overbridge collapses near Mumbais CST
- Bangkok students strike against climate change
- Louis Tomlinson's sister Felicite dies at 18 of cardiac arrest
- Jose Mourinho says Zidane's re-appointment as Real Madrid boss is ideal
- The Queen Gave Prince Harry and Meghan a Royal Dream Team
- Evidence of Enormous, 2600-Year-Old Solar Storm Found in Greenland
- Man Utd, Barcelona, Arsenal & more learn quarter-final & semi-final fate
- LeBron James vows return to playoffs after disappointing season