The popular mobile game was banned by four cities in the state of Gujarat, including Rajkot, where the arrests have occurred.
Ahmedabad Police Commissioner A K Singh also issued a notification on Wednesday banning both the games in the city, citing similar reasons.
Players had their phones seized for investigation. Police Commissioner Manoj Agrawal explained that "people have been booked but there is nothing like arrest in it". Police inspector Naran Chudasama tells the Indian Express that "They were arrested after we filed a case against him in the early hours of Thursday. We have filed six different cases against them". We were thus surprised to learn that local authorities in a few cities have made a decision to impose a ban on playing our game. "Our team caught these youth red-handed", Rohit Raval, Rajkot Special Operations Group police inspector, said.
In a country where gaming isn't seen as a viable career option by most, ten college students were arrested by the Rajkot City Police, Gujarat. While the notification issued by the police is in Gujarati, using translator we were able to make out a couple of things.
The company said it has been working on the introduction of a healthy gameplay system in India to promote balanced as well as responsible gaming, including limiting play time for under-aged players.
That's all well and good, but perhaps we should acknowledge the larger crime committed by the police and state, in failing to note that the Momo challenge is bogus, and that year after year, studies have no shown there's no evidence to prove a link between violent games and aggressive behavior. "Keeping in mind public safety security and to maintain law and order, I hereby impose a ban on playing PUBG game/MOMO challenge", reads the notification, which was issued on directions from the Gujarat state government following a PUBG ban in Gujarat primary schools in February. "As parents, we must guide our children to get the most from technology", he said.
- Facebook says Chief Product Officer Chris Cox is leaving | Tech
- Jokowi Urges Siti Aisyah to Temporarily Stay Put at Home
- Louis Tomlinson's sister Felicite dies at 18 of cardiac arrest
- Beto O'Rourke will seek 2020 Democratic presidential nomination
- Multiple fatalities, one person in custody after two New Zealand mosque shootings
- Donald Trump says Theresa May didn't listen to his advice on Brexit
- Man Utd, Barcelona, Arsenal & more learn quarter-final & semi-final fate
- Jose Mourinho says Zidane's re-appointment as Real Madrid boss is ideal
- Bad day for No. 1s: Djokovic, Osaka upset at Indian Wells
- Mueller report should be made public, House says in bipartisan vote