"Youth Strike 4 Climate Derry'" is being led by Foyle College student, 17-year-old Jodi Desmond, who has been inspired by the actions of 16-year-old Swedish activist, Greta Thunberg, who has called on students all over the world to strike on Fridays in protest against climate change.
Greta Thunberg, who was named one of Time's Most Influential Teens of 2018, reportedly landed on the list of nominees this year after three Norwegian lawmakers put her name up, according to Norwegian media outlet VG.
Since then, Thunberg's actions have spurred an entire movement with students around the world striking to bring attention to the need for action on climate change.
"Greta Thunberg has launched a mass movement which I see as a major contribution to peace", he added.
"Honoured and very grateful for this nomination", Thunberg tweeted early Thursday morning.
So far, there have been regular walkouts around the world, including in countries likes Germany, Belgium, the UK, France, Australia and Japan.
Tomorrow, however, Greta and her fellow environmentalists are gearing up for their largest global protest yet, with thousands of schoolchildren attending protests in 105 different countries - and counting.
RTÉ's Education Correspondent Emma O'Kelly met some Dublin students who are intent on protesting on Friday.
The Nobel committee doesn't comment on nominations, but Thunberg is up for the 2019 prize along with 301 other candidates, including 223 individuals and 78 organizations.
She continued to gain worldwide attention after speaking at the UN Climate Talks in Poland in December and at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January.
"I just thought that nothing is happening and no one is doing anything to fight climate change", she told CBSN.
If Greta wins the prize, she will be the youngest person to ever become a Nobel laureate.
National politicians, global officials, academics and previous winners are among those who can nominate potential recipients.
- Can the Stock Market Keep Rallying? These Two Indexes Say It Can
- These Are the Highlights From the Final 'Avengers: Endgame' Trailer
- MLB announces rule changes involving pitcher usage, roster limits, inning breaks
- USA college admissions scandal sparks $500B lawsuit
- New Italian law requires students to be vaccinated or face repercussions
- Captain Marvel Arrives To Level The Avengers: End Game Playing Field
- Maradona: Juventus star Ronaldo an animal and sorcerer
- MoD to pay Bloody Sunday soldiers' fees
- Pi Day 2019: All the Food Deals We've Found So Far
- New book describes perils of crossing a White House power couple