"I look forward to VETOING the just passed Democrat inspires Resolution which would OPEN BORDERS while increasing Crime, Drugs, and Trafficking in our Country", Trump tweeted shortly after the Senate passed the resolution condemning Trump's unilateral action. "Congress has the freedom to pass this resolution and I have the duty to veto it", he said.
Republicans joined Senate Democrats in blocking the order, but there do not appear to be enough votes for an override. The House had passed the same resolution last month largely along party lines.
Lawmakers, including 12 Republicans, had passed the rejection resolution on Thursday in a surprising rebuke of Mr Trump's signature issue. "I thank all of the Strong Republicans who voted to support Border Security and our desperately needed WALL!"
Mr Trump had declared the emergency in February after Congress refused his requests for $5.7bn (£4.4bn) to construct a border wall - a campaign promise.
He said the vote against the president was also a vote "against the America people and their safety and security". Mike Lee, R-Utah; Rob Portman, R-Ohio; Susan Collins, R-Maine; Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska; Marco Rubio, R-Fla.; Rand Paul, R-Ky.; Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn.; Roger Wicker, R-Miss.; Roy Blunt, R-Mo.; Jerry Moran, R-Kan.; and Pat Toomey, R-Pa. He wrote an opinion piece in the Washington Post at the time arguing there would be "no intellectual honesty" in supporting executive overreach by Trump that he had opposed under President Barack Obama.
As the USA and the European Union struggle to iron out their differences on trade, Trump said, "they are willing to talk to us and if they don't talk to us, we're going to do something that's going to be pretty severe economically".
U.S. President Donald Trump speaks while meeting with Ireland's Prime Minister (Taoiseach) Leo Varadkar in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, U.S., March 14, 2019. The emergency declaration came after Trump failed to win an appropriation for a border wall in a continuing resolution to fund the government last fall.
- Five dead, over 30 hurt as overbridge collapses near Mumbais CST
- Singapore tops in Asia for quality of living, personal safety: Mercer poll
- Lilly Singh becomes first YouTuber to host USA talk show
- PUBG Mobile sends out statement after ban on game leading to arrests
- Jose Mourinho says Zidane's re-appointment as Real Madrid boss is ideal
- Vietnamese suspect in Kim Jong Nam's killing seeking release
- James Gunn Returns To Twitter After Disney Rehires Him For Guardians 3
- Facebook says Chief Product Officer Chris Cox is leaving | Tech
- Bad day for No. 1s: Djokovic, Osaka upset at Indian Wells
- Evidence of Enormous, 2600-Year-Old Solar Storm Found in Greenland