On the other hand, Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal, current world No. 2, got his ticket to the quarterfinals after beating Serbian Filip Krajinovic 6-3 and 6-4 in one hour and 27 minutes.
Bianca Andreescu from Canada, the current world number 60 who is only 18-years-old, stormed past former world number one Garbiñe Muguruza of Spain 6-0, 6-1. "It's small gaps", Nadal said about the upsets. "I was holding serve quite comfortably all day, Kyle came out and played a great last game".
Indian Wells: Roger Federer extended his dominance of Stan Wawrinka on Tuesday, beating his friend and fellow Swiss 6-3, 6-4 to reach the fourth round of the ATP Indian Wells Masters.
2016 finalist Milos Raonic kept his hopes of returning to a fourth Indian Wells semifinal by upending Jan-Lennard Struff 6-4, 6-3.
Afterwards, in a clear indication of her confidence, Andreescu said: "For me, the sky's the limit". Hurkacz, 22, will be playing in his first ATP Masters 1000 quarter-final.
Andreescu will face the victor of the match between Ukrainian Elina Svitolina and Czech Marketa Vondrousova in the semi-finals of the tournament.
"You have to find a great rhythm of offensive play, don't overplay it", Kohlschreiber said. "Is true that for the last 10 years didn't happen very often".
If Nadal won his next match of Indian Wells 2019 then he would get a chance to perform against Swiss superstar and five-time Indian Wells title victor Roger Federer in the semifinals.
Federer will face Hurkacz for the first time in the quarterfinals.
Krajinovic hadn't dropped a set in winning his first three main-draw matches after two wins in qualifying to get into the $8.3 million event. Maybe because of the conditions, [it was] windier out there today.
Federer, who can break out of a tie with Novak Djokovic with a record sixth title in the California desert, is on a collision course with three-time champion Nadal, who took on Russian Karen Khachanov in the quarter-finals.
Dominic Thiem defeated Ivo Karlovic 6-4, 6-3 and will play Gael Monfils, a 6-0, 6-2 victor of the late match against Philipp Kohlschreiber. Naomi Osaka, the world's top-ranked woman, also lost in straight sets a day earlier.
- Defending champ Osaka blitzed by Bencic
- Qatar 2022 organisers 'open' to FIFA's expansion plan
- Jazz issue lifetime ban to fan who called Westbrook ‘boy’ in 2018
- Love Island's Mike Thalassitis Found Dead Aged 26
- Elon Musk's lawyers: SEC contempt motion "smacks of retaliation and censorship"
- Malaysia Rejects to Free Doan Thi Huong in Kim Jong Nam Killing
- Happy Not To Draw Arsenal - Chelsea Director
- Samsung is working to put a selfie camera underneath a phone's screen
- Pi Day 2019 deals in Hampton Roads
- Labour leader Corbyn to ask UK PM about progress in Brexit talks