Johnny Football could be back on the field soon. The former Texas A&M Heisman Trophy victor was released from his CFL contract last month, with league officials announcing he had "contravened the agreement which made him eligible to play in the league". It said it would not honor a contract signed with any other CFL team but did not disclose Manziel's specific contractual violations.
Adam Schefter reported Saturday night that Manziel has signed a player agreement with the AAF, which is now in Week 6 of a 10-week regular season.
The Alliance of American Football announced Saturday night that it has signed the quarterback and that he was claimed on waivers by the Memphis Express after the San Antonio Commanders relinquished his rights.
The AAF, now in its first season, says Manziel will report Sunday to Memphis after the Express lost to Salt Lake, 22-9, on Saturday to fall to 1-5 on the year.
Manziel had previously said on Barstool Sports' Comeback SZN podcast that he was intrigued by the prospect of playing in either the AAF or the XFL, which begins operation next year. They started with former Penn State standout Christian Hackenberg, who was drafted in the second round of the 2016 National Football League draft by the New York Jets. Brandon Silvers replaced Mettenberger after he suffered an injury during Saturday's loss. According to a release from the CFL, Manziel "contravened the agreement which made him eligible to play in the league". In eight starts he completed 64 percent of his passes for 1,290 yards with five touchdowns and seven interceptions. It was his first football action since he was released by the NFL's Cleveland Browns following the 2015 season.
- Samsung is working to put a selfie camera underneath a phone's screen
- 'Horror and sorrow': U of T reacts to attack on Christchurch mosque
- New data in eternal debate over eggs, heart health
- O'Brien back for Ireland, Beirne makes Six Nations bow
- Iran bans Boeing 737 MAX from airspace: civil aviation
- Fears for Paris Jackson amid reports of hospitalisation
- Suspected White Supremacist Brenton Tarrant Charged After Christchurch Mosque Shootings | HuffPost Canada
- Nothing can replace the excitement of Roger Federer versus Rafael Nadal
- Love Island's Mike Thalassitis Found Dead Aged 26
- Bangladesh cricket team narrowly escapes New Zealand mosque shooting