The vaccination status of the two newest cases has not been released. That's up from 387 cases in 15 states the week before, with recent cases in Florida, Indiana, Massachusetts and Nevada. The newly confirmed cases were in Oakland and Washtenaw counties, bringing the case count to 39 in Oakland County, one in Washtenaw County and one in Wayne County. Those cases, along with other Northern California cases, can be viewed in the map below.
The update, from the Auckland Regional Public Health service, came at 2.00pm on Monday.
Measles is highly contagious, infecting up to 90 percent of unvaccinated people who are exposed to it, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Authorities are trying to determine possible exposure sites for the more recent cases. There are no public exposure sites for the Wayne County case.
The Washtenaw County Health Department is hosting a walk-in vaccination clinic on Tuesday, April 9. Another clinic on Wednesday, April 10, will run from 5 to 7 p.m.at 555 Towner Street in Ypsilanti.
MDHHS would like to take this time to remind Michiganders that the measles vaccine is effective, safe, and readily available through your healthcare provider or local health department.
The CDC recommends that all children get two doses of measles vaccine. A second vaccine dose is given before the start of kindergarten, between ages 4 and 6 years.
If cases continue to accumulate, the USA may see more measles diagnoses in 2019 than in any year since the disease was declared eliminated in 2000.
State health officials are stressing that people can not contract measles from the vaccine. So far this year in the USA, there have been 465 cases of measles confirmed in 19 states.
We can't discuss the anti-vaxx movement without scrutinizing the specious premise that the measles vaccine is, on the whole, more risky than measles itself.
Symptoms of measles usually begin within a wee to 14 days after exposure, but can remain dormant up to 21 days. "After three to five days, a rash appears on the face and then moves down the body".
- Summer Loving to be a prequel to Travolta film Grease
- De Bruyne says City will struggle to reach quadruple target
- European Union hopes for positive outcome of United Kingdom cross-party discussions: Barnier
- Attorney General Tells Senate: 'Spying Did Occur' Against Trump Campaign
- London's ULEZ launches today
- Twitter removes Trump video for use of 'Dark Knight' score
- Yes, You Can Finally Change Your PSN ID- But Read This First
- Kruger Denies Interviewing For UCLA Head Coaching Job
- When is the Best, Worst Time to Buy Gasoline?
- Bruins-Maple Leafs Playoff Series: Dates And Start Times Announced