One man told the New York Daily News he saw the immediate aftermath of the incident and that the child was lying "motionless.in a pool of blood".
Police in Minnesota say they're investigating an incident at the Mall of America in which a child was reportedly thrown from a third-floor balcony.
Potts said the incident was isolated - that Aranda and child had not known each other prior - and that investigators are "actively trying to figure out why this occurred ... whether it was an interaction up on the floor or why that is". "The child did suffer significant injuries". The suspect, a 24-year-old man was soon found inside the mall and was taken into custody. "Our thoughts and prayers are obviously with that child and his family in hopes that that child is able to recover".
"She was screaming 'Everyone pray, everyone pray".
The suspect ran down to the first floor and "was located inside the mall", Potts said. Mall Security responded immediately as well as the Bloomington Police Department.
A source at the scene tells WCCO that the person who threw, or possibly pushed, the child fled the mall and was apprehended near the light rail station. "Oh my God, my baby, someone threw him over the edge, '" Brian Johnson said. He said a thorough investigation will be conducted to find out the motive for the incident.
Police in Bloomington tweeted that a 5-year-old child suffered injuries and was being treated at a hospital Friday.
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that a man in 60′s attempted to stop the suspect, but was assaulted by him.
- Luke Walton, Lakers Mutually Part Ways
- Chicago Sues Jussie Smollett to Recoup Cost of Hate Crime Probe
- Labour Party chief says UK should oppose Assange extradition
- Attorney general says 'I think spying did occur' on Trump's campaign
- Mike Pence hits back at Pete Buttigieg: ‘He knows me better’
- England’s Tamsin Beaumont is among Wisden’s Cricketers of the Year
- Tiger Woods upbeat after opening round at Masters
- Trump signs executive orders to speed up pipeline construction
- Champions League: Mourinho hails one Man United player after Barcelona defeat
- Trump Touts 55 Percent Approval From Poll That Found 43 Percent Approval