Sunday, 21 April 2019
Latest news
Main » Khashoggi family denies settlement with Saudis: statement

Khashoggi family denies settlement with Saudis: statement

13 April 2019

The U.S. State Department on Monday publicly designated 16 people for their role in Khashoggi's death and said they and their families would be barred from entering the United States.

With regard to the trial, Salah said it is still ongoing and "no settlement discussion had been or is discussed".

Salah Khashoggi, son of late Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, posted a statement on his official Twitter account saying there was no third party authorized to speak on behalf of the Khashoggi family.

Khashoggi was murdered inside the Saudi consulate in Turkey's Istanbul in October 2018. His body has not been recovered.

USA intelligence agencies believe that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the murder of Khashoggi, who had written critically of the crown prince. Riyadh initially denied any knowledge of the killing, but later blamed rogue agents for Khashoggi's death.

The statement did not openly confirm or deny possible reparations from the Saudi king or crown prince, whom the family called "guardians to all Saudis".

"Acts of wisdom and generosity arise from high morals and humanity and are not an admission of guilt or error".

The Trump administration has been facing huge criticism from lawmakers for its response to Khashoggi's murder. We were raised to be grateful for favours and not reject them, " the family said in the statement.

The US Senate on Wednesday (local time) voted to confirm John Abizaid as the new ambassador to Saudi Arabia, a position that was lying vacant since 2017.

Saudi Arabia cut off diplomatic ties with Iran in January 2016 as a response to attacks on Saudi diplomatic missions in Iran, triggered by execution of prominent Shiite cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr by Saudi authorities.

But Republicans and Democrats have both bristled over the White House's apparent embrace of the kingdom and its leadership.

The State Department previously revoked the visas of almost two dozen Saudi officials and froze the assets of 17 others.

Khashoggi family denies settlement with Saudis: statement