Woods brought the roars back to the famed venue with a brilliant four-under-par 68, putting himself on track for a fifth Green Jacket.
Brooks Koepka of the United States reacts to a missed birdie putt on the 18th green during the first round of the Masters at Augusta National Golf Club on April 11, 2019, in Augusta, Georgia.
Day defied crippling back pain to be in contention after the first round - somehow posting a 2-under par 70 to finish day one just four shots from the lead despite aggravating his chronic back injury and needing medical treatment just five shots in.
Day is tied for the lead at seven under alongside countryman Adam Scott (68), as well as fellow major winners Brooks Koepka (71), Louis Oosthuizen (66) and Francesco Molinari (67). Dustin Johnson, the 20-time TOUR victor who captured his first and only major at the 2016 U.S. Open, shot 70 and was also 6 under.
Luckily for the guard - and Woods - there was no lasting damage.
Scott, the 2013 Masters victor, hit a 2-iron to within four feet for eagle at the par-5 15th hole on the way to a 68 to reach 7 under.
Koepka, a victor in two of the past three majors, ran off four straight birdies in the middle of the back nine by overpowering a soft course. "To be where I'm at, as badly as I putted and hit the ball today, I'm pleased with it". McIlroy played the par 5s in even - two bogeys, one par and an eagle on No. 8 that got him under par, but only briefly. Through 23 stroke-play events this season, only 12 second-round leaders/co-leaders have gone on to win.
'I've got to go and have a MRI soon, but I can't see that making any difference, it's not really changed for the last 30 years'.
As a gentle rain fell, Woods hit a low hook around the trees on the 14th hole and onto the green.
Brooks Koepka of the US hits off the 4th tee during second round play.
Koepka, who had shared a one-shot overnight lead, also deserved applause, staging a back nine recovery after a stumbling start to the second round.
He two-putted for birdie on the par-5 15th.
"I'm actually happy to be where I'm at, especially having to get it up and down from 180 yards on the 15th to make par", he said.
- Million Rock 'n Play Sleepers Recalled by Fisher-Price
- Trump Touts 55 Percent Approval From Poll That Found 43 Percent Approval
- Ex-Obama counsel expects charges in Mueller-related probe
- Tesla Model 3 lease program opens door to future ride-hailing network
- Child Possibly Thrown or Pushed from Balcony at MOA, Suspect in Custody
- Google continues to improve the security and privacy
- New Species of Ancient Human Discovered in Philippine Cave
- N Korea convenes top-level meeting over 'tense situation': KCNA
- NY mandates vaccinations to contain measles
- Attorney general says 'I think spying did occur' on Trump's campaign