The crash occurred while the Summit Air plane was trying to take off from Lukla for Kathmandu, said aviation officials.
Nepal police spokesman Uttam Raj Subedi was cited by New Zealand news service Stuff as saying that the dead included a pilot of the plane and two police officers standing near the parked helicopter. Hoards of people gathered around the aircraft wreckage following the crash as debris was strewn on the ground.
The plane crash at the Tenzing-Hillary airport in Nepal left three people dead, injuring four others.
It's believed a small plane crashed into a helicopter while taking off from an airstrip. The injured have been sent to Kathmandu for treatment.
Both airlines are private companies serving locals and tourists in the remote areas of Nepal.
Assistant Sub-Inspector Rudra Bahadur Shrestha, who was injured in the incident and airlifted to Kathmandu, died at Grande Hospital, hospital sources said.
A report quoting Suman Pandey, chief executive officer (CEO) at Fish Tail Air, stated that the incident took place at around 9:10 am at Tenzing-Hillary Airport in Lukla, a major gateway to Mt Everest.
But the airport has been dubbed one of the world's most risky because of the short runway and hard approach. The aircraft had hit the helicopters of Manang Air and Shree Air. The airfield is notorious for its short runway and perilous approach, sitting at an elevation of over 2,800 meters.
In February, a helicopter flying in bad weather crashed into a mountain in northeastern Nepal, killing all seven people on board, including the country's tourism minister.
- Valtteri Bottas secures pole for Mercedes at 1,000th GP
- Watch the Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order reveal stream here
- International Court Judges Reject Afghanistan Investigation
- Tsunami scare in Indonesia after 6.8 earthquake strikes eastern zone
- WhatsApp, Facebook and Instagram down around the world
- English Premier League: Newcastle move closer to survival with win over Leicester
- Lightning will have to do without Nikita Kucherov facing 0-3 deficit
- Man City boss Guardiola: Sane knows why he's not playing
- Vasiliy Lomachenko obliterates Ant Crolla in lopsided fight, calls out Mikey Garcia
- Skype Preview adds screen sharing feature on iOS and Android