Storms hammered east Texas on Saturday, with two children killed when a tree fell on a vehicle, authorities said.
The storm system's death toll rose to at least five on Sunday, when authorities reported the death of a Texas woman whose mobile home was destroyed Saturday night.
Debris is strewn in flooded water in the Pemberton Quarters strip mall following severe weather Saturday, April 13, 2019 in Vicksburg, Miss. Heavy rain may also lead to localized flash flooding in areas prone to flooding. The Angelina County Sheriff's Office says an 8-year-old and 3-year-old died after the tree hit the back of the auto in Lufkin, about 115 miles (185 kilometers) northeast of Houston.
"It looks like a storm came up through Louisiana and into MS and exploded in Monroe County", Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell told CNN.
A preliminary damage survey found that a tornado with peak intensity of EF-3 and winds up to 140 miles per hour touched down in Robertson County, according to the National Weather Service in Fort Worth. "Get those weather radios and phone apps TURNED ON", its Birmingham office said.
And the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency said multiple fatalities have been confirmed in Monroe County, but did not say how many.
By late Saturday, the storms were expected to organize into a line as they cross the western border of Mississippi.
"We were hit really, really, hard". There are several trees down.
At Georgia's Augusta National Golf Club, organizers of The Masters golf tournament moved up tee times Sunday to try to beat risky weather. "We are just a mess", Cantrell said.
Powerful storms that killed at least two people continued to move across the South on Sunday after spawning suspected tornadoes that left several people injured and multiple homes and businesses damaged or without power.
"Damaging winds appear to be the greatest threat on Sunday, but tornadoes will also be possible", CNN meteorologist Dave Hennen said.
- Sarah Huckabee Sanders: Trump will spread the migrant "burden" to sanctuary cities
- Samsung Galaxy A80 reportedly spotted on AnTuTu, showing Snapdragon 730 prowess
- Man City boss Guardiola: Sane knows why he's not playing
- SpaceX carries out first commercial launch with Falcon Heavy rocket
- Cain may not be able to pass US Senate hearings
- US unveils plans to speed up 5G wireless deployment
- 3 killed after small plane collides with helicopter in Nepal
- Jokes hidden inside Oculus Touch controllers are ‘inappropriate,’ according to co-founder
- Watch the Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order reveal stream here
- Rusty's Forecast - Strong to severe storms possible this evening