Oculus executive Nate Mitchell tweeted that phrases such as "This Space For Rent" and "The Masons Were Here" have been printed on components for "tens of thousands" of Touch controllers. He added that a small number of development kits included the messages "Big Brother is Watching" or "Hi iFixit!"
The problem is these Easter eggs were supposed to appear just on prototype units, not consumer and market model, but they "accidentally" ended up being printed on more units than originally intended.
Facebook accidentally shipped "tens of thousands" of virtual reality (VR) controllers with freaky hidden messages, including "Big Brother is Watching" and "The Masons Were Here".
"While I appreciate easter eggs, these were inappropriate and should have been removed", Mitchell said.
Tens of thousands of Oculus Touch controllers are delivering a little bit more than virtual reality.
These inscriptions on Touch controllers were meant to be harmless and fun easter eggs for prototype versions of the Oculus Touch controllers.
Hidden inside the Touch controllers are messages like, "This Space For Rent", and "The Masons Were Here". He assured that the integrity and functionality of the controllers themselves weren't compromised and that the company has tuned its process to avoid something like this from ever happening again.
'That said, as mentioned in Nate's tweet, the messages will be inside tens of thousands of controller pairs that will ship to consumers when Quest and Rift S ship. Since the messages are inside on the hardware, you won't see them when using the controllers.
To some, jokes like "Big Brother is watching" are in poor taste considering the public relations woes of Oculus parent company, Facebook.
- Messenger could be returning to the Facebook app
- US unveils plans to speed up 5G wireless deployment
- Urging for Peace, Pope Francis Kisses Feet of South Sudan Leaders
- Samsung Galaxy A80 reportedly spotted on AnTuTu, showing Snapdragon 730 prowess
- BTS and Halsey Break the Internet with "Boy with Luv" Video
- Watch the Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order reveal stream here
- Google and Huawei settle over to pay for Nexus
- Trump says he considered his daughter Ivanka to lead the World Bank
- Boy thrown from Mall of America balcony hospitalized
- International Court Judges Reject Afghanistan Investigation