Ohm Youngmisuk has covered the Giants, Jets and the National Football League since 2006.
Walton was sacked after a tumultuous 37-45 season.
During his Thursday press conference announcing Joerger's firing, Divac was clear that he wanted a coach who would continue to run the up-tempo style Sacramento became known for this season.
Two days into the offseason and the Lakers are down a team president and a head coach as the franchise continues to struggle to right itself almost seven years after the Dwight Howard-Steve Nash experiment went bust.
"We would like to thank Luke for his dedicated service over the last three years", Pelinka said in a statement.
Walton, who went 98-148 in his three seasons as head coach, thanked the franchise and controlling owner Jeanie Buss, who was a staunch supporter of Walton's.
"I think Luke did a hell of a job with what he had, the cards he was dealt", point guard Rajon Rondo said.
The Lakers had cursory discussions with Walton's representatives on Wednesday in which they discussed whether there was a way forward, multiple sources told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne.
Walton posted an incredible 39-4 record as a fill-in for Kerr, and even took home NBA Coach of the Month honors during his time.
When Ball contacted the team about the planned procedure, general manager Rob Pelinka warned him that following through would void his contract, according to the report.
Although Wojnarowski reports that the two parties will meet this weekend, mere days after Walton and the Lakers parted ways, Sam Amick of The Athletic tweets that the parties have already met and are in the late stages of completing a multiyear deal.
"I want my coach to be right next to me and we can talk about the team and what's out there for us to make our team better", Divac said.
As a coach, however, it never seemed to be stable with Walton at the helm.
Through it all, the Lakers were 20-14 after beating the Warriors in Oakland on Christmas Day, the game in which James was initially injured. Walton's Lakers never finished below 5th in the National Basketball Association in pace, have been top-five in transition frequency in the last two seasons and have finished top-15 in defensive rating each of the last two seasons, as well. He took over after the worst season in franchise history, a season with only 17 wins.
- Farage: Unlike Labour, Brexit Party will be intolerant of intolerance
- Ariana Grande ''Didn't Mean to Startle'' Fans With PTSD Post
- Australian general election to begin May 18
- Multiple people shot by gunman outside popular nightclub in inner Melbourne
- European Union prepares to retaliate against USA tariff threat
- Big New Contract For Braves Player
- World's biggest plane makes first flight
- New Sharp 6.18 inch foldable AMOLED display shown off on video
- Manchester United v West Ham: Leaky Devils can claim crucial three points
- Phil Mickelson: Don’t rule out Tiger Woods in 2019 Masters at Augusta