Kucherov was given a major penalty and ejected for hitting Nutivaara in a defenseless position with 4:26 remaining in the lopsided defeat.
The Tampa Bay Lightning aren't exactly off to a good start in their first-round Stanley Cup playoff series against the Columbus Blue Jackets. Kucherov scored 128 points this season (41 goals and 87 assists), the most the National Hockey League has seen since Jaromir Jagr scored 161 in 1995-96.
The Lightning outscored Columbus 17-3 in winning all three meetings in the regular season.
With Kucherov unavailable, here's what Tampa Bay's lines looked like during practice on Saturday.
Tampa Bay is 6-2 in the last 8 meetings between these two teams and are 6-1 in the last 7 meetings between these two teams in Columbus. The Department of Player Safety announced Kucherov will be suspended for Game 3 because of the hit.
Lightning head coach Jon Cooper said he didn't see the hit and had intentionally not reviewed it before his post-game news conference.
However, through two games of the first round Kucherov has yet to record a point. Among them: Kucherov was in control of the play at all times.
- Phil Mickelson: Don’t rule out Tiger Woods in 2019 Masters at Augusta
- Deputy’s Son Arrested for Allegedly Setting Fire to Three Historically Black Churches
- Kings, Luke Walton Agree to Terms on Multi-Year Deal
- All eyes on Tiger Woods as leaders prepare for Masters third round
- Australian general election to begin May 18
- Farage: Unlike Labour, Brexit Party will be intolerant of intolerance
- IPL 2019: Steyn replaces Coulter-Nile in Royals Challengers Bangalore squad
- European Union prepares to retaliate against USA tariff threat
- Maryland volunteer firefighter killed while serving tour of duty in Afghanistan
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle sweetest moments