Pep Guardiola stuck to his guns over Manchester City's approach in their 1-0 Champions League quarter-final loss to Tottenham.
Gundogan had told Sky Deutschland: "We were not fearless enough in the game and we made a lot of simple mistakes".
"I have said many times how important Leroy has been for us in good or bad moments". We have sometimes made decisions that are hard to understand, but we win and everyone says we are genius.
Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool now lead the Premier League by two points from title rivals City, though the Merseyside club have played a game more than Pep Guardiola's side.
But speaking before the game, Chelsea winger Eden Hazard has made it clear that the Blues are only focusing on the game and now what happens with the title challenge. That should allow James Milner to either return to midfield or take a place on the bench, where he can make a second-half impact with fresh legs.
'We don't care about who can win the title, we'll go there and try to win the game, ' Hazard told the BBC (via Metro). "It's there but I always want more".
The midfielder felt it was in keeping with other "nervous" Champions League displays that mean City are not yet a "big team".
"We have been incredible for 20 months", he added.
Roy Hodgson's Palace side enter the game in decent form having won three out of their last five Premier League games. I know how hard it is in the Champions League, away at Tottenham and we made a good performance. I reviewed the game yesterday and sometimes I have the feeling that I was wrong at the time but I had a similar feeling.
- Facebook May Finally Stop Forcing You to Use Its Messenger App
- 3 killed after small plane collides with helicopter in Nepal
- Trump says he considered his daughter Ivanka to lead the World Bank
- Google Pixel 3a and Pixel 3a XL case renders leaked
- International Court Judges Reject Afghanistan Investigation
- Big New Contract For Braves Player
- Spal 2 - 1 Juventus - Match Report & Highlights
- Deputy’s Son Arrested for Allegedly Setting Fire to Three Historically Black Churches
- Vasiliy Lomachenko obliterates Ant Crolla in lopsided fight, calls out Mikey Garcia
- SpaceX carries out first commercial launch with Falcon Heavy rocket