It is far more powerful, faster, and smarter than the current standard.
There have been concerns that the United States may be lagging behind China in 5G, but Pai is confident the U.S.is leading the way.
President Trump and Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai are expected to announce the administration's latest plans to ensure United States leadership in 5G and expand high-speed broadband access to rural areas across the country. She said the USA has not auctioned off "midband" spectrum that is better suited to serve rural areas because of how far it can carry signals, and that the Trump administration's actions on 5G have "set us back". AT&T already offers mobile 5G by invitation in 19 markets through the use of the Netgear Nighthawk 5G mobile hot spot.
According to the FCC, 5G networks promise faster speeds, lower lag times, and more capacity. Networks must be secured. For example, 4G LTE networks helped create the ride-sharing industry, which has turned Uber and Lyft into multi-billion dollar companies.
Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai said the USA will hold a 5G spectrum auction on December 10 to open up the amount of airwaves available to commercial wireless operators.
To accelerate and incentivize these investments, my administration is freeing up as much wireless spectrum as needed [.] removing regularity barriers to the buildout of networks.
"The work this administration's FCC has done to ensure America remains the world leader in internet and telecommunications technology will produce incalculable benefits for our economy for decades to come", Ken Cuccinelli, FreedomWorks Foundation Director of the Regulatory Action Center, said in a press statement. Since November 2018, the FCC has auctioned 1,550 megahertz of spectrum for use by commercial wireless providers.
The U.S. government will hold a massive auction later this year to bolster 5G service, the next generation of mobile networks.
The Rural Digital Opportunity Fund aims to provide funding through a reverse auction to service providers in areas without access to high-speed service and aims to connect up to four million rural homes and small businesses to high-speed broadband networks. He also took the opportunity to discuss Huawei. "But the United States is focusing 5G efforts on high-band spectrum, while the rest of the world is focusing on mid-band airwaves". It has effectively banned Chinese telecom equipment maker Huawei from most USA networks due to concerns that it might enable Chinese government spying, which Huawei denies.
- Facebook May Finally Stop Forcing You to Use Its Messenger App
- You Can Now Play Apple Podcasts Online In Web Browser
- Deputy’s Son Arrested for Allegedly Setting Fire to Three Historically Black Churches
- Vasiliy Lomachenko obliterates Ant Crolla in lopsided fight, calls out Mikey Garcia
- Messenger could be returning to the Facebook app
- SpaceX carries out first commercial launch with Falcon Heavy rocket
- Australia opposes death penalty as Assange supporters march
- Watch the Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order reveal stream here
- New 'Avengers: Endgame' Clip Has The Avengers Splitting Into Teams
- All eyes on Tiger Woods as leaders prepare for Masters third round