A Portland woman attending college in NY died Sunday after falling from a university clock tower.
A U.S. university student has died after she fell more than 12 metres from a campus bell tower in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Fordham University confirmed the incident and sent a letter to students.
According to the university, the student climbed the clock tower with some friends.
According to a statement released by the university Sunday morning, the senior at Fordham College at Rose Hill was rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital.
The father was seen sobbing as he left the hospital with one of the priests a short time later.
"There are no words sufficient to describe the loss of someone so young and full of promise - and mere weeks from graduation", McShane said.
Monfries was a senior and had been studying journalism, according to the Times. "I don't think they went up there with the intent thinking that it would be possible to fall".
University officials said Monfries died after losing her footing and falling some 30 feet onto a landing below.
Reportedly seniors were planning to climb the tower and touch the bell.
The student was climbing the tower about 3 a.m. Sunday when the fall occurred. It was reported that Sydney may have been participating in a "rite of passage" ceremony or event.
The Post reported that students who climbed the tower and took photos described it as a "rite of passage" at the school.
"The thrill of danger is definitely a huge allure to going up", one student was quoted by the paper as saying.
"You have to ride the ram", she said of a statue on campus, adding that students also "have to go into the tunnels underground and you have to go into the bell tower". I'll never forget all of our memories back when you lived in NJ and I'll forever cherish them! "They are always doing some kind of cleaning or renovation", she said.
Howe stated that it is too early to know if the lock was tampered with.
'Recently people heard the door was open or found a passageway. It had the caption, "Bell tower".
- At least five killed in powerful thunderstorms, tornadoes in South
- Jokes hidden inside Oculus Touch controllers are ‘inappropriate,’ according to co-founder
- Everything We Know About the Star Wars TV Show The Mandalorian
- Police open fire after Ukrainian ambassador's vehicle 'deliberately rammed'
- Chawla removes Rayudu as Super Kings stumble
- Johnson left red faced after practice swing gaffe
- Dead as Storms Continue Across the Southern US
- Trump says Boeing should fix, then re-brand Max jets
- Tiger Woods Has Won The Masters - His First Since 2005!
- Australian race horse Winx retires after record 33rd straight win