WCCO-TV in Minnesota reported a witness heard the boy's mother shouting "Everybody pray, everybody pray".
A month later, in August 2015, Aranda told authorities he has "anger issues" when he was arrested on a felony property damage charge at the public library.
On Saturday, Potts declined to give specifics about Aranda's mental health but said some of the previous cases had been handled in mental health courts.
Bloomington police have said they don't believe Aranda knew the family or the boy.
Friends of the family began a GoFundMe crowdfunding campaign for Landen, who is described as "the sweetest, kindest 5-year-old you will ever meet".
A witness told CNN affiliate WCCO that the child's mother was screaming that someone had thrown her child from the balcony.
Landen was grabbed and thrown from the balcony onto the mall's tile flooring on Friday morning; Emmanuel Deshawn Aranda, of Minneapolis, has been charged with attempted homicide. Potts said he expects to submit the case to Hennepin County prosecutors for charges by noon on Monday. He is facing an attempted murder charge.
Police are on the scene of an incident at the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota.
'This was a senseless act and words can not truly express our profound shock and sadness, ' the Mall of America said in a statement on Friday.
He said: "We do have prior contacts with this individual".
He had been banned from Mall of America in the past and was convicted of misdemeanors in two incidents there in 2015, court records show.
"We have counselling services available for anyone who may need assistance".
Police confirmed that there is video of the incident but said it will not be released until the investigation is complete. He had also swept his hand across a display table at the beauty store Bare Minerals, breaking lip gloss containers and shot glasses, police said.
Then in October 2015, Aranda returned to the Mall of America again - in violation of his no-trespass order - and harassed and assaulted a woman inside a restaurant there, records show.
The complaint says Aranda approached a woman who was waiting for the restaurant to open and asked her to buy him something. Police learned at that time he had an existing trespass notice prohibiting him from the Mall until July of 2016.
- Game of Thrones Season 8
- Tiger Woods stars in Nike ad released after Masters win
- Chevron to gain Anadarko’s offshore Guyana oil assets after takeover
- GM Confirms 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 and Announces its Release Date
- Samsung Galaxy A80 reportedly spotted on AnTuTu, showing Snapdragon 730 prowess
- Nazem Kadri will have in-person hearing on Monday
- Johnson left red faced after practice swing gaffe
- Normal for title-chasing Liverpool to feel heat - Chelsea's Sarri
- National Hockey League playoffs 2019: Maple Leafs' Mitch Marner scores on penalty shot
- White House denies Trump inciting violence against Muslim lawmaker