Police opened fire outside the Ukrainian embassy in west London yesterday after the ambassador's auto was "deliberately rammed".
A spokesman for the Ukrainian embassy, said an unknown vehicle had crashed into the Ukrainian Ambassador's auto this morning and the man inside posed a threat that required British police to fire an unknown number of shots at the auto. The embassy says none of its staff was injured.
"The police were called immediately, and the suspect's vehicle was blocked up", it added. When officers arrived on the scene, a vehicle was "driven at them", Metropolitan Police said.
Earlier, eyewitnesses, as quoted by the Daily Star, stated that the gunfire allegedly came from a vehicle near the embassy building, with police returning fire. The media outlet noted, citing witnesses, that at least 10 shots had been fired.
Police said the incident is not being treated as related to terrorism.
The man was taken to hospital as a precaution but was not injured, they added.
Commenting on the incident, the Metropolitan police stated that they have opened an investigation into the attack.
Officers used firearms and a Taser before arresting a man on suspicion of attempted murder. He praised police for responding quickly.
It happened around 9.30 CEST in Holland Park, an upmarket area in west London.
The black vehicle was heavily scuffed on its right-hand side.
Chief Superintendent Andy Walker said, under standard procedure, the use of a police firearm in Britain is now being formally investigated.
Footage showed armed police surround the vehicle before smashing the driver's window and using a Taser on the screaming suspect.
The Met said the Directorate of Professional Standards has been informed.
- Jallianwala Bagh Massacre: ‘India will never forget martyrs’ sacrifices,’ says PM Modi
- Saudi oil cuts deeper than promised: IEA | ABS-CBN
- Google and Huawei settle over to pay for Nexus
- Jokes hidden inside Oculus Touch controllers are ‘inappropriate,’ according to co-founder
- BTS and Halsey Break the Internet with "Boy with Luv" Video
- Highlights from The Mandalorian at Star Wars Celebration
- International Court Judges Reject Afghanistan Investigation
- Dead as Storms Continue Across the Southern US
- Doc Rivers gets technical foul defending Patrick Beverley
- Ex-Obama White House counsel caught in Mueller dragnet