BCCI had announced the Provisional Squad for the ODI Cricket Worldcup which happens in England which begins the next month. The Committee of Administrators along with office bearers had decided on the date during a meeting last week.
Pakistan were recently clean-swept 5-0 by Australia in the United Arab Emirates, and questions were raised over the team s preparedness for the upcoming World Cup. Another favourite for the No 4 spot is KL Rahul, who is back among runs, and could also end up as the middle-order choice.
While skipper Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan, M.S. Dhoni, Kedar Jadhav, Hardik Pandya, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami and Jasprit Bumrah were automatic picks, there were three main areas of concern that the selectors needed to take a call on.
Prasad said that Vijay Shankar, an all-rounder, provides a "three-dimensional" option to Ambati Rayudu in the number 4 position. "That's the reason we went with Dinesh Karthik", after a brief selection meeting which also included Indian captain Virat Kohli at the BCCI headquarters in Mumbai on Monday afternoon.
"We went ahead with Karthik because of his experience in big matches". Vijay Shankar is three dimensional.
As reported by PTI earlier, Prasad confirmed that Shankar is being seen as a potential number four candidate along with Rahul and Kedar Jadhav.
"And in the second part of the tournament, when the wickets will be more dry, we felt Jadeja will be handy".
The #4 slot in the squad is now open and the team can either opt to field an extra all-rounder like Vijay Shankar or play KL Rahul. The squad also consists of two wrist spinners - Yuzvendra Chahal and Kuldeep Yadav.
It is expected that both the young fast bowlers will be travelling with the team to England as back-up, who could be drafted in if anyone from the pace troika of Bumrah, Shami and Bhuvneshwar get injured.
- Johnson left red faced after practice swing gaffe
- Jokes hidden inside Oculus Touch controllers are ‘inappropriate,’ according to co-founder
- Australian race horse Winx retires after record 33rd straight win
- Saudi oil cuts deeper than promised: IEA | ABS-CBN
- Trump says Boeing should fix, then re-brand Max jets
- Nazem Kadri will have in-person hearing on Monday
- White House denies Trump inciting violence against Muslim lawmaker
- Ex-Obama White House counsel caught in Mueller dragnet
- Game of Thrones Season 8
- Tiger Woods stars in Nike ad released after Masters win