The 43-year-old's emotions ran riot on the 18th green as he exploded into frenzied celebrations with his caddie, his children and his support team before he signed for a closing two-under 70 which confirmed a winning score of 13 under par. Coming up 18 I was just trying to make a five.
A 15th major success was secured in sensational fashion on Sunday as Woods overhauled Francesco Molinari's two-shot overnight lead to prevail by one stroke. He drifted out of contention with another double bogey at the par-5 15 hole to finish tied for fifth place, two shots behind champion Tiger Woods.
However, dressed in his traditional final-round red shirt, Woods emerged from a back-nine showdown with two-time major victor Molinari to win his fifth Masters title and 15th major of a storied career that moves him three behind Jack Nicklaus' record haul of 18.
Charlie was born a year after Woods won his 14th major at Torrey Pines at the 2008 U.S Open. So East Lake was a big step for me, confirming that I could still win out here and against the best players. "That ball on 12, if it's one yard further left it probably goes in the bunker and the third shot on 15, it could easily not have clipped the tree and sometimes it is your day, sometimes it isn't, but I'm really happy with the way I felt out there today". "When I tapped the putt in, I don't know what I did but I know I screamed".
"It's overwhelming just because I was very lucky just to be playing again", added in Butler Cabin. "It will be up there with one of the hardest I've had to win because of what has transpired in the last couple of years".
At Carnoustie it was Woods who stumbled on the back nine while leading. It hasn't sunk in at all.
- Ex-Obama White House counsel caught in Mueller dragnet
- National Hockey League playoffs 2019: Maple Leafs' Mitch Marner scores on penalty shot
- Jokes hidden inside Oculus Touch controllers are ‘inappropriate,’ according to co-founder
- Rusty's Forecast - Strong to severe storms possible this evening
- Samsung Galaxy A80 reportedly spotted on AnTuTu, showing Snapdragon 730 prowess
- Man City boss Guardiola: Sane knows why he's not playing
- Highlights from The Mandalorian at Star Wars Celebration
- At least five killed in powerful thunderstorms, tornadoes in South
- Cain may not be able to pass US Senate hearings
- Chevron to gain Anadarko’s offshore Guyana oil assets after takeover