Among the protestors was a group of cyclists from East Anglia who made the 155 mile journey from London to Norwich by bicycle. They thereby imposed a deadweight cost on business and an inconvenience to commuters.
Hundreds of protesters had also blocked Waterloo Bridge, which was closed in both directions, with campaign group Extinction Rebellion declaring on their Twitter page: "We have taken Waterloo Bridge!"
A huge climate change demonstration has got underway in London with protesters blocking roads and causing "criminal damage" in a deliberate attempt to get arrested. Some activists also glued themselves to windows.
Five of those arrested - three men and two women - were held on suspicion of criminal damage after protesters vandalised Shell's headquarters on Monday.
Oxford Circus' big pink boat is daubed with the phrase: "Tell the truth!".
The movement, which is demanding the British government takes urgent action on climate change and wildlife declines, has received support from actress and activist Emma Thompson and former archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams.
The International Rebellion is meant to force governments to agree to Extinction Rebellion's demands. Police arrested 85 people that day.
"We respect the right of everyone to express their point of view, we only ask that they do so with their safety and the safety of others in mind", a Shell spokeswoman said by email.
"They will be blocking five of the city's busiest and most iconic locations in a non-violent, peaceful act of rebellion where they invite people to join them for several days of creative, artist-led resistance". "If we don't do anything to change this, our children will die".
While organisers encouraged people to set up camp in Hyde Park overnight into today, they were warned they could be breaking the law by doing so under Royal Parks legislation.
The culpable protesters expect to face a jury trial where they hope to further broadcast the group's goals, the organization said in a statement.
- Pistons get routed by Bucks in Game 1, 121-86
- Fordham University student falls climbing campus bell tower to take photos
- Khloe Kardashian, Tristan Thompson Reunite at True's Birthday Party
- Meghan Markle & Prince Harry's Baby Breaks Royal Rules with Birth Plan
- Uber Files for an IPO: What You Should Know
- Disney stock soars after release of streaming service
- Com hack more extensive than Microsoft first claimed, email contents compromised
- Boston Celtics win Game 1 in defensive struggle vs Indiana Pacers
- Russell, LeVert lead Nets to stunning Game 1 win
- Massive fire breaks out overnight at Coachella Festival campgrounds