The order was issued by India's Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and follows an order by the Madras High Court prohibiting the downloading of the app in India. The app was not available in Apple's app store on Wednesday, the report added.
The app has had quite a few run-ins with the law.
Having said that, the app is still accessible to the ones who have it downloaded on their phones. They have also claimed that banning or restricting TikTok is a direct attack on the fundamental rights of them, and the users of the app.
TikTok also argues that its platform is merely an intermediary under the Information Technology Act and can not be held liable for the actions of third party users on the platform.
On April 15, SC refused to stay the Madras High Court order on grounds of the issue being still sub-judice.
It had asked the government if it would enact a statute on the line of the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act in the U.S. and posted the matter for further hearing on April 16. TikTok now has over 120 million monthly active users in India.
On Tuesday, a Madras High Court bench comprising of Justices N Kirubakaran and SS Sundar appointed senior advocate Arvind Datar as independent counsel in the case.
A spokesperson for TikTok said the firm had "faith in the Indian judicial system" and that it was "optimistic about an outcome that would be well received" by its millions of users.
- Don't Count Out The Denver Nuggets
- Bernie Sanders has entered millionaire class, tax returns show
- The Honor 20 is coming on 21 May
- Messi humiliates Manchester United goalkeeper as Red Devils dumped from Champions League
- In Nepal, the aircraft collided with the helicopter, has died
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Quits Facebook, Calls Social Media a 'Public Health Risk'
- Golden State Warriors: Today will determine who Dubs face in first round
- Boston Celtics win Game 1 in defensive struggle vs Indiana Pacers
- Muslim Congresswoman experiences increase in death threats
- I cried after knee injury, says Kevin De Bruyne