Though Trump tried to cast doubt on McGahn's credibility, it is clear from the Mueller report that investigators took seriously his statements, which in many instances were accompanied by contemporaneous notes, and relied on his account to paint a portrait of the president's conduct.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Trump "doesn't know right from wrong", and added: "Everybody in the country should be totally appalled by what the president said". "I'd report it to law enforcement, absolutely".
He continued: "But of course you do that".
But Trump told Fox yesterday: "Of course, you have to look at it. but of course, you give it to the Federal Bureau of Investigation or report it to the attorney general or somebody like that".
Trump told Fox he did not believe any foreign power would present him with "bad" dirt on his rivals "because they know how much I love this country".
The president has come under fire, mainly from Democrats, after telling ABC News' George Stephanopoulos that "there's nothing wrong with listening" to foreign sources. "I thought it was made clear".
"Now, if I thought anything was incorrect or badly stated..."
Even several of the president's fellow Republicans spoke out against his remarks to ABC.
Meanwhile, Republicans chastised Trump for his comments, especially after years of his campaign being under investigation for possible collusion with Russian Federation. "Robert Mueller had a total conflict of interest", the president said. "I wouldn't accept material like that". It is also doubtful that McGahn, a lawyer, would have had any incentive to make a misstatement given that lying to law enforcement is a crime and Mueller's team charged multiple Trump aides with false statements. "Let's stop there. No we don't".
Trump talked on Fox & Friends about conversations he's had with foreign leaders and remarked, "Gee, if they say we don't like your opponent, am I supposed to put the president of France--am I supposed to report him to the Federal Bureau of Investigation?"
- Tesla To Get 'Fallout 3,' YouTube On Its Touchscreens Soon, Musk Confirms
- O.J. Simpson Joins Twitter, Immediately Gets Trolled About Murder (TWEETS)
- Copa America: Brazil kick off with resounding 3-0 win over Bolivia
- From St. Louis to Tokyo, Blues fan celebrates a Stanley Cup
- Justice Department says Congress can't force IRS to provide Trump's tax returns
- Newmarket MP Matt Hancock quits Tory leadership race
- Widespread tech outage affecting Target stores
- Target outage: Shoppers reporting long checkout lines, registers down nationwide
- David Ortiz Shooter Issues Statement From His Jail Cell
- Khloé Kardashian Accused of Blackface in Q&A With Kylie Jenner