Golden State Warriors superstar Stephen Curry is helping finance the creation of competitive golf at Howard University. With the team embarking on a youth movement in 2019, Iguodala was traded to the Memphis Grizzlies just weeks after "The Sixth Man", his memoir, made The New York Times bestsellers list. Iguodala, an avid golfer like Curry, tweeted praise for Curry's philanthropic efforts.
Curry, who played golf in high school and frequently plays in celebrity tournaments, spoke about the importance of golf in a press release sent before the event.
31-year-old Steph Curry said he chose to get involved after being inspired by a meeting with Howard senior and golfer Otis Ferguson IV, who had been trying to get the university to have a golf team. During that time, the goal would be for Howard to create an endowed fund to keep the program going after the initial six years.
Golf programs at historically black colleges and universities are generally underdeveloped, and some schools have even had to scrap their teams in the face of financial hardship. According to a 2018 report from ESPN's The Undefeated, even when the teams are successful, black men and women are often statistically underrepresented on their rosters. Howard is set to debut its new golf teams for the 2020-21 academic year, with both programs set to compete at the Division I level. Golf is unique because it can be played through various ages of life. The father-of-three now serves as a producer on ABC's new mini-golf show, "Holey Moley". "It's a discipline that challenges your mental wherewithal from patience to focus, and is impossible to truly master".Читайте также: CDC investigates link between vaping, mysterious illness; cases reported in 15 states
Student-athletes in the golf program also will agree to volunteer in Greater Washington with Eat.
Curry played golf on his high school team and has appeared as an amateur and celebrity golfer in tournaments during his National Basketball Association career. Learn. Play., a foundation run by Curry and his wife, Ayesha.
Under Armour, the shoe company that sponsors Curry, will outfit the teams, and Callaway Golf will provide equipment.
Langston Golf Course, the District's historic Black golf course, is an option that Howard officials hope will be available.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- NVIDIA offers up to 23% more performance with its new GeForce drivers
- Brazil's Bolsonaro claims NGOs may be burning the Amazon
- Alberta: Strong storm risk rolls in for Wednesday
- Ryanair launches court action in bid to block strikes by United Kingdom pilots
- Scientists Detect First-Ever Collision Between Black Hole and Neutron Star
- Kashmir: Pakistan to seek International Court of Justice ruling
- XFL Seattle team reveals name, logo — Seattle Dragons
- Trump administration unveils rule allowing migrant families to be held indefinitely
- U.S. will act if tanker carrying Iranian oil delivers oil: Pompeo
- Americans will go to Switzerland to talk about Facebook’s cryptocurrency